Go from Cairo to Paris to the streets of Chicago with these books recommended by one of our 2022 Read-A-Thon media partners, Monika aka Monika’s Book Blog!
1. PEOPLE WE MEET ON VACATION by Emily Henry: If you just want to read a book about impulse traveling, pick this. Two friends go on an unplanned annual vacation and rekindle their friendship which turns into love. A heartfelt favorite from 2021!
2. Egypt – MURDER AT THE MENA HOUSE by Erica Reuth Neubauer: Set in 1920s Cairo, tourists from around the world flock into the Mena house without knowing the deadly dangers buried in the shadows. A puzzling cozy mystery filled with drama, fun, and entertainment!
3. Iceland – THE CREAK ON THE STAIRS by Eva Björg Ægisdóttir: A chilling and atmospheric nordic-noir thriller follows an investigation of a dead woman found at a lighthouse. If you like dark thrillers, this is a must-read!
4. India – KAIKEYI by Vaishnavi Patel: A brilliant debut that captures a mythical & vilified Queen’s story. This compulsive story makes you forget that this is an imaginary version of the myth of Ramayana. Reasons to read include: it’s a feminist retelling, and a tale of fate, courage, and heartbreak!
5. Paris – THE LADIES OF THE SECRET CIRCUS by Constance Sayers: Altering between historical Paris and current Virginia, this unforgettable and captivating story is about a family’s BOND with a magic circus. Love, mystery, and transporting magic, this book has it all.
6. Chicago – The Kindest Lie by Nancy Johnson: How can I not include a book from my hometown 😍. Equally touching and heartbreaking, this layered story captures the divide between Black and white communities and offers an unflinching view of motherhood in modern America and the never-ending quest to achieve the American dream.
Thanks for the recs, Monika!
There’s still time to come on board Read-A-Thon 2022! Book your reading adventure today at cplfreads.org/.