It’s that time of year again—and we don’t just mean summer vacation. It’s also time for the 2018 Summer Learning Challenge at Chicago Public Library.
Rahm’s Readers Summer Learning Challenge kicks off June 18 of this year and runs until September 1. Through the course of this dynamic STEAM-focused program, more than 100,000 Chicago kids ages 0 to 13 will participate along with their families in this summer’s learning challenge, entitled Earth Explorers. Focused on sustainability, the program will have events and activities at every branch of Chicago Public Library ALL summer long.
The Summer Learning Challenge was designed 6 years ago to combat the “Summer Slide”—the term for the way most students fall behind in math and reading skills over the summer break. Children not exposed to learning programs over the summer are at a risk of falling up to 3 months behind when they return to school in fall.
But that’s not the only reason for students to get involved this summer. The Summer Learning Challenge is packed with FUN for the whole family!
Just check out some of the awesome activities that are planned and head over to your local branch to register for the Summer Learning Challenge:
Hands-On STEAM Activities
- Enviro-Mystery with Project Syncere At this event, students will work as Environmental Engineers, using their knowledge of soil and water to solve an environmental problem afflicting plants and animals in a fictitious community.
- Plant Chicago Aquaphonics Workshop Here, students can build their own self-watering planter out of reclaimed materials.
- The Museum of Science and Industry’s Brain Games During these activities, MSI’s teen science enthusiasts will lead hands-on activities that explore various science concepts with participants.
- Earthkeepers Join Christine Buik, the “Earthkeeper,” for this interactive show that will have its audience clapping and chanting to the beat of a Lakota drum! Tribal legends, like Coyote Steals the Blanket, and live animals will inspire students to love, respect, and care for the earth. After the presentation, students will have the opportunity to meet and touch animals in the performance.
- Beautiful Bats This program, put on by the Flying Fox Conservation Fund, is all about BATS! Kids will learn where they live, what they eat, and the important contributions they make to the ecosystem. They’ll even get to experience fruit bats up close and in person!
That’s not all!
In addition, there will be a field trip to the Shedd Aquarium, raffles, and prizes for completing Read, Discover, and Create challenges, book giveaways, and much more! Dive deeper into this year’s program by visiting Chicago Public Library’s Summer Learning Challenge site.
This year’s Summer Learning Challenge is made possible by Wintrust, Helen M. Harrison Foundation, Walter E. Heller Foundation, Macy’s, PNC Bank, Peoples Gas, Rice Foundation, Westinghouse, Paul M. Angell Foundation; Boeing; and Cubs Care, (a fund of the McCormick Foundation), and generous donors to the Chicago Public Library Foundation.
Did you know that a donation of just $25 funds 4 kids in a full summer of learning and discovery that combats summer slide? Join the ranks of our esteemed donors and give Chicago kids the summer of learning and fun they deserve by donating here.