Chicago Public Library Foundation Seeks Dedicated Teachers for Teacher in the Library Program
Teacher in the Library (TIL) is a free homework help program funded by donors to the Chicago Public Library Foundation to assist elementary and high school students with their homework. Teachers in the Library work in Chicago Public Library branch locations throughout the city.
Teachers in the Library help children successfully complete their homework assignments and improve their study habits. TILs work to develop positive relationships with children that will increase their confidence and motivate them to try their best. TILs help create a supportive environment, in which children and parents see the Chicago Public Library as a resource for after school learning.
All teacher applicants must hold a valid Illinois teaching certification and must submit proof of certification (type 03, 04, 09, 10 are accepted).
The position may include:
- Help direct children and get them focused on their homework
- Suggest learning strategies
- Work with neighborhood teachers on specific assignments
- Work closely with Branch Librarians to assist young library patrons
- Demonstrate and re-enforce learning concepts
- Talk with parents and caregivers about specific assignments
- Conduct skill drills
- Create learning games
- Work with library staff to integrate learning strategies and library resources
- Be asked to attend training and professional development workshops
Hours: 3-6pm, Monday through Thursday (12 hours/week) during the school year. Pay rate is $25/hr.
Interested applicants should contact Lisa Carroll at email@example.com. Please include a resume and a brief personal statement, no more than 500 words.