We know you miss Chicago Public Library; we miss you too. And we can’t wait to welcome you back safely. As the library doors reopen, let’s work together to create a healthy and safe space ─ for everyone.
With the Phase III of the city reopening now in full swing, Chicago Public Library’s doors opened on June 8th. Librarians and library staff have been working extra hard to make sure that patrons feel safe as they step into the neighborhood branches, they missed so much.
But we all have to do our part to keep each other and our community safe, by following the protocols in place:
- Wear a mask or a face covering. No mask? No problem! Chicago Public Library can provide you with disposable masks.
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently. The Library is providing hand sanitizers at all branches.
- We know you’re excited to be back, but for now let’s visit the library no more than 1 hour per day (This is only temporary, we promise!)
- We know technology is critical as most services move online that’s why you can use the computers at the branches up to one session, per person, per day.
- You probably have a tower of books to return. You can drop all of them in the book drop.
- Social distancing guidelines are in place. For now, let’s stay at least six feet apart from other patrons and staff inside the branches or while waiting in line if the building is at capacity. A staff member will let you know when you may enter the Library.
- Let’s keep all entrances and exits clear. Please follow the direction markers too!
- Please refrain from moving furniture. They are arranged to ensure we respect social distancing measures and safety guidelines.
- Check out the updated hours of your local branch here.
- Follow the instructions of librarians and security staff.
As we continue to navigate the new normal, Chicago Public Library will offer limited services to reduce contact and close interactions. For questions, please click here.
You can also continue to explore the Library’s extensive digital collections and resources from the comforts of your homes.
The Library may look and feel different for a little while. But we are here for you. The Library and the Library Foundation’s commitment to empowering Chicagoans and communities navigate the challenges of recovery are stronger than ever. We are all in this together.